Saturday, August 20, 2011

Taylor Swift's Ex-Boyfriends


Taylor Swift has stated that she has written songs about all of her ex-boyfriends, that they are the greatest inspiration for her. So this is a list of who was the inspiration for what song, what interviews she talked about it in, and any other relevant information.

          •The song Tim McGraw was inspired by a relationship Taylor had when she was in highschool. The boy was a senior (she wasn't) and they both knew that at the end of the summer the relationship would be over since they would be so far apart. She wanted to give him something to remind him of her, and the first thing she though of was her love of Tim McGraw, so she wrote the song. 

She told USA today, "He bought the album and said he really loved it, which is sweet. His current girlfriend isn't too pleased with it, though." It was named after a musician who's songs she liked. He was going away from college so she wanted to write him something to remember her by.

"Tim McGraw," which was the first single from the album, is that of a seasoned pro, despite Swift's newcomer status. "Tim McGraw" may also be the album's highlight -- not a teenager's tribute to the country superstar, it instead uses McGraw as a marker in a lover's time line: "When you think Tim McGraw/I hope you think my favorite song." It's a device that's been used countless times in as many ways, that of associating a failed affair with items, places, and people, yet it works as a hook here and manages to come off as an original idea"

             •Picture to Burn was written about an ex-boyfriend, which she calls a redneck, and says he never let her drive his truck.
        • Teardrops on My Guitar was written about a boy she liked, which she never actually dated. "Drew was a real person!" she tells. Drew was surprised when he heard his name in the song. "I never knew she liked me" Drew says.

             • Should've Said No was about an ex-boyfriend that cheated on her.
Joe Jonas broke up with her over the phone, something she has complained about on Ellen Degeneres' show, and elsewhere. She got her record company to let her record a song about it, to add at the last minute to her album. Forever & Always is the name of that song. She also wrote 'Last Kiss' about him and 'Better than Revenge'.
          
          • Taylor Lautner became her boyfriend after they met on set for the film Valentine's Day. Their relationship was popularly known as Taylor Squared. They broke up in early 2010. She mentioned going to a hockey game with him during her October 29th 2009 appearance on the Ellen Show. According to MTV he was more into her than she was into him, he going everywhere he could to see her, but it not working out. They have apparently decided to just be friends.
    The song, Back to December is suspected to be about Taylor Lautner. The song is an apology to him. Some of the lyrics go..." Your guard is up and i know why. Because the last time you saw me is still burned in the back of your mind ...you gave me roses and i left them there to die. So this is me swallowing my pride, standing in front of you saying I'm sorry for that night. And I go back to December all the time. You gave me all your love and all i gave you was goodbye." At the end of the song she asks for his forgiveness and hints to the fact she wants to be with him again. The couple hasn't reunited and at the recent American Music Awards Swift performed the song and at the end added "and he said..it's too late to 'pologize" from popular song "Apologize" by the band One Republic. She is alluding to the parody video Taylor Lautner made for "Apologize". Time magazine listed this is one of the top apologies of 2010. 

    Jake Gyllenhaal reported spent $160,000 to have her flown over on a private jet for a date. He later broke up with her through a text.

    The song Dear John is rumored to be her exboyfriend John Mayer. In "Dear John," meanwhile, her armor is definitely on when she sings of the subject's "dark, twisted games" and "sick need to give love then take it away," before she triumphantly describes "shining like fireworks over your sad, empty town." But the hidden message for "Dear John" underscores the ballad's vulnerability: LOVED YOU FROM THE VERY FIRST DAY, it says. 

    So "Story of Us" is not the story of Joe and Taylor after all. Just in case there was a shadow of a doubt as to who "The Story of Us" is about, USA Today writer Brian Mansfield— trickster that he is—got Swift to confess that "Dear John" and "The Story of Us" were both inspired by the same person. 

    The chorus has them on different sides of "a crowded room, and we're not speaking/And I'm dying to know/Is it killing you/Like it's killing me?" Later, she sings of "losing my mind when I saw you here/But you held your pride like you should have held me.../Why are we pretending this is nothing?" From the sound of it, she held out the faintest of hopes for a reconciliation: "This is looking like a contest/Of who can act like they care less.../The battle's in your hands now/But I would lay my armor down/If you'd say you'd rather love than fight." Which is so different compared to the meaning of Dear John.


    Taylor dated Owl City's Adam Young and her song Enchanted is about him. Adam Young of Owl City is the first one to out himself as one of Taylor’s male muses, as the object of her affection in the song “Enchanted.” And he couldn’t be more pleased, since this offers him an opportunity to woo her. First, by writing Swift an earnest blog post response, and second, by rerecording her song to say he’s in love with her. Major second-hand embarrassment awaits you after the jump.

    “It was about this guy that I met in New York City, and I had talked to him on email before, but I had never met him,” Taylor Swift revealed to Yahoo! Music about the meaning behind “Enchanted”. “And meeting him, it was just this overwhelming feeling of: I really hope that you’re not in love with somebody. And the whole entire way home, I just remember the glittery New York City buildings passing by and then just sitting there thinking, am I ever gonna talk to this person again? It was that feeling of pining away for a romance that may never even happen, but all you have is this hope that it could, and the fear that it never will.”

    Well, it didn’t take Adam long to figure out that the song was about him. “The track is absolutely gorgeous and I’m so tremendously honored that Taylor would write such an elegant song and thereby offer a gracious nod in my direction,” he wrote in a blog post on Valentine’s Day. “Needless to say, I was lost for words and utterly smitten. I couldn’t stop smiling.”
    “I figured such an eloquent gesture should be reciprocated by the most polite, heartfelt and respectful response I could possibly muster,” he continues. “How does one respond to such a personal outpouring of emotion and sentiment?”
    Listen to Young’s cover of “Enchanted” over at his official website. And read his reply to the newly single Swift, in full:
    Dearest Taylor,
    I’ll be the first to admit I’m a rather shy boy and since music is the most eloquent form of communication I can muster, I decided to record something for you — as sort of a “reply” to the breathtaking song on your current record. This is what I wanted so badly to tell you in person but could never quite put into words:Everything about you is beautiful. You’re an immensely charming girl with a wonderful heart and more grace and elegance than I know how to describe. You are a true princess from a dreamy fairy tale; a modern Cinderella. I’m terribly sorry it’s taken me such a long time to reply but I figured Valentine’s Day was the perfect time to write this note to you and simply say… I was enchanted to meet you too

    Love,
    Adam

    No comments:

    Post a Comment